Tuesday, December 16, 2008

This week's word

di⋅vest [di-vest]

-verb (used with object)
1. to strip of clothing, ornament, ect.
2. to stip or deprive (someone or something), esp. of property or rights; dispossess.
3. to rid or free from
4. Law to take away or alientate (property, rights, ect.)
5. Commerce.
a. to sell off: to difest holdings.
b. to rid through sale.

Well I didn't choose just any word to start off my new word learning. This word has special meaning to Josh and me this week. As we are starting to prepare to move back to NY, we are realizing how much stuff we have accumulated in the past years. So we are going through all of our stuff and purging, or divesting some of it. Most will be donated to charity, however, we are selling some on Amazon. Books, DVD's, Video Games, and CD's have been listed for sale on Amazon, and we've already made $25 by selling only 7 or so things. All our clothes, old housewares and such we are bringing back to NY this weekend when we go home for Christmas to bring to Goodwill. We have 3 rubbermaid bins of regular clothing, one Large bin of winter clothes, sweatshirts and fleeces, and another large bin of books that we know we wouldn't be able to sell on Amazon so we are donating those to a Library.

All in all, I think we are ridding ourselves of well over 250 items. However, I'm not including each item individually in my count towards my 101 things to get rid of. However, I will cound many of them because they were things I didn't think I would part with for quite a while, or that I did think Josh could part with (Books). I am proud of us for really starting to realize that there are a lot of things we own, but rairly use. We have really started to make a conscience effort to purchase things that we know we will use a lot, or will be helpful to have around for a long time to come.

As we get ready to head home for Christmas, I'm starting to get really excited to spend time with my family and do some baking and just relax. I have two days of work left, then I will be officially unemployed. During the time I'm home, I will finish up my resume and start applying for jobs. I'm hopeful that I will find something quickly.

I am happy that I'm going into this Christmas season knowing that many of the things we are getting rid of will eventually be going to new homes who will be able to bring life to things that sat on shelves for years. Also that those things might bring a smile to a face of someone who never thought they would own that particular item.

I don't know if I'll post again before Christmas, if I don't, I hope everyone has a wonderful Holiday Season!

No comments: